Having issues with Discord app on Windows PC. Here is a simple guide for Discord issue with checking for updates in Windows 11.
Are you facing this issue where Discord is stuck on checking for updates? In this method, I have discussed some tips and tricks to fix this problem. Most of the users have faced difficulty in updating Discord client on Windows 11 OS.
Usually, a new software update brings bug fixes and new features that improve the user experience of the app. If the app is stuck checking for updates, you won’t be able to use it, and installing an update will seem like a never-ending process.
Reasons Discord Stuck Checking for Updates
Here are some possible reasons why the Discord client for Windows keeps checking for updates but can’t install it.
- The Discord server may be down.
- VPN causes network slowdowns.
- Discord cache may contain garbage data.
- A static network at the user end.
- The antivirus application stops downloading the update.
Best Ways to Get Stuck Checking for Updates on PC
Let’s go into the troubleshooting section and apply these fixes to install the Discord update without any issues.
1. Check if the Discord server is down
Start by visiting Down detector Checks if the website and Discord server are down. Often servers may be taken down for some time for maintenance or troubleshooting. That update is available on the Downdetector forum.. Also, check out sites like Twitter to see if the major outage has affected Discord users around the world.
2. Fix network problems
Is your home network connection stable? Are you experiencing frequent network outages lately? Contact your ISP and complain to them. Ask them to come and fix network issues.
You can run a Speed test Find out your Wi-Fi speed. At extremely slow speeds, the Internet may not even load a website, let alone update Discord to a new version. If you can access another Wi-Fi network, connect to it instead of the problematic one.
3. Disable Anti-Virus on your computer
Antivirus can sometimes act strangely and stop downloading some apps or feature updates. This can also happen on Discord. Before you update Discord, I recommend immediately turning off your antivirus on your computer.
- Start Windows Search by pressing Windows + S.
- Please type Virus and threat protection. Click on open.
- under Virus and threat protection systems tab, click Manage settings.
- Click Change on the page Real-time security to turn it off.
- Now, proceed to install the Discord update.
Once the update is complete, repeat the above steps and activate Real-time security to your computer.
4. Stop using a VPN
If you use a VPN, it can slow down the network. It can happen if the remote server is too busy processing requests and has reached a peak. Disabling VPN will help you access the internet without any problem.
- Access the VPN extension in a web browser.
- Click Designated ON/OFF switching To disable VPN.
- Now, access Discord and allow the new update to install.
After Discord is updated, you can re-enable the VPN on your computer.
5. Enable conflict with administrator rights
Try running Discord with administrator privileges. Close the Discord app from the task manager and relaunch the app as an administrator. Here are the detailed steps.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc Start the task manager.
- Under Apps, scroll down Difference of opinion and right click on it. Select Complete the task From the menu.
- Now, press on Windows + S Open the search and type Discord.
- When the Discord app is displayed, click it Act as an administrator.
- Click on Yes When a prompt appears about permission for the app to make changes to the system.
6. Clear Discord Cache
To clear Discord’s cache, you need to delete Discord’s AppData folder. Make sure Discord is not running. You can access task manager and close it under applications.
- Press Windows + R To bring the run box.
- Type %localappdata% and press enter.
- Scroll to Difference of opinion folder, select it and press Shift + Delete Keys. [or right-click on Discord > press Delete icon ]
- Launch Discord From Windows Search.
7. Reset the network connection
If you think the Discord app’s faulty networking is from getting the latest update, choose Network Reset. Performing a network reset in Windows is easy.
- press on Windows key Bring up the search box.
- Type network Restore And click open.
- Click the button Reset now.
After the network is restored, connect your computer to the Internet and launch the Discord app and it should update without any errors.
8. Use Discord for the web
If you’re still having issues with the Discord app, try using the web version of Discord.
- the head Discord’s official website.
- Click on to login and enter your credentials.
9. Get the latest version of Discord
You can install the latest version of Discord by downloading the setup file from Discord’s official website. You can do this without uninstalling the existing version of Discord from your computer.
Discord for Windows | Download
Easily install Discord updates
Never miss Discord updates as version updates fix bugs and introduce new features to the platform. If the Discord app is stuck checking for updates in Windows 11, use the troubleshooting tips mentioned in this guide to allow the app to finish installing the pending update.