It’s been a while in the making, but Adventure II XE for the Atari 8-bit is almost ready for release. This is what it is Cafeman says in today’s update to a thread that started in 2013 When we all get a demo version to try.
Adventure II XE, an homage to Warren Robinett’s original Atari 2600 game, adventureAdventure II is a revised and expanded 64k version of the game released in 2007 for the Atari 5200 – it’s 32k.
- Small, medium and vast kingdoms to explore!
- 22 game variations with beginner, intermediate, advanced and special skill levels! (Demo contains first 9 variations)
- New and versatile hiding places for useful items!
- New VR Mode (“Very Random”) for you experts!
- Three “secret spots” hide locations change for each game variation!
- New sounds and music!
- New stats and ranking of the game!
- New XE-joystick-compatible “one-button” control! Press quickly to switch left/right items; Hold down the drop button!
- Changed screens, paths and behavior of creatures!
In the game, you play the role of a hero who has to go to the castle of the Dark Kingdom to retrieve the lost Chalice. The challenge is to get through the mazes, find the keys, and open the many gates that stand between you and your goal.
Cafeman The demo version claims to be 99% identical to the final version. The demo will help him gather feedback from other players to change the game or fix any bugs he finds.
The demo can only be played on Atarimax 1mb or 8mb cards or on an emulator such as Altirra or Atari800MacX. In my case, I used the latter with a named file AdvII_XE_Demo_020520_XEGS.bin, added it to the cartridge and opted for the replaceable XEGS 64K cartridge option. basically Cafemanthe Altirra should work the same way.
Please read the PDF manual attached in the forum thread, it explains all the game modes, controls, etc. However, in short, you use the joystick to walk around. To use/carry an item, touch it. Hold the fire button to drop it or tap the same button to spin it.
Follow the link below to the Attarage thread to download the game!
Link: Adventure II Text